Second Round of ETH Smart Working Training Days
At the end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021, IT Services rolled out a training programme on Microsoft 365 and Teams under the title “Smart Working”. The first round met with considerable interest and the feedback was positive throughout. We have made some adjustments and are now launching the second round of Smart Working.
What has changed?
We now offer a basic course on site and in much smaller groups. This is in response to the demand to provide employees who are new to Microsoft365/Teams with better support and to familiarise them with the topic for a whole day. All modules are now also offered in English.
New Ways of Working require new Tools
Collaboration and teamwork has radically changed both within the organisation and across departmental boundaries since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. The need for virtual exchange with other ETH members as well as cross-site and cross-device working has become a central part of our daily routine. This change is also having an impact on our work culture and the tools we use. Microsoft 365/Teams helps us to implement this.
Together with the ETH training partner Digicomp, IT Services have put together a training course for all ETH Zurich employees that deals with these topics. The Smart Working training courses are all about online collaboration. In three modules, ETH employees learn how to work efficiently with Microsoft 365 and Teams in a virtual working environment. In addition to the basic functions, ETH-specific settings and configurations are also explained.
Three Modules on how to use Microsoft Teams without losing track
- The basic module helps new users to get to grips with Microsoft 365 / Teams and provides basic knowledge for people who want to use Teams for the first time.
- Please note: This is a full-day course; which will be held on-site at the Octavo Building (OCT) in Oerlikon. Due to the current coronavirus situation, the event has yet to be confirmed.
Advanced Module on Teams
- In the advanced module on Teams, we will introduce you to the Microsoft Teams application in detail.
- You will learn how to set up and conduct online meetings and how to collaborate virtually in real time.
- You will also discover practical tips and tricks to help you work better together in Teams.
- In addition, questions regarding data protection and information security in the cloud will be answered.
- This module is conducted online as a webinar.
Advanced Module on Collaboration
- The advanced module on collaboration shows ways in which you can integrate Microsoft 365 and Teams into your everyday routine for collaboration in your department, in your organisation or in a project, thereby making your daily work more efficient.
- You will learn about tools like the Planner for tracking tasks and pending items or OneNote for sharing and coediting information in the digital notebook.
- A block entitled “smart collaboration” explains how to design virtual collaboration.
- We will also provide tips and tricks for mobile devices (smartphones) and show you how M365 tools can be used in the mobile workplace.
- ETH HR will play an integral part in the course and will take over the block “smart collaboration”.
- This module is conducted online as a webinar.
- In order to be able to use all the functions shown in this module, it is necessary to install the Microsoft 365 applications and the latest OneDrive Sync client.
Registration and further Information
You can register on the ETH website (limited number of participants):
- The basic module is a one-day course and will be held on site in Oerlikon (OCT building).
- The other two modules will be held in two half-day online courses each as webinars.
- Each of the three modules can be booked individually. Please only register if you can participate on both half days.
- Each module will be conducted in German and English. Please note the corresponding dates.
The next Dates in German
(as of 2 Jun 2021 / update dates)
- Smart Working Days – Basic module, Friday, 11 June 2021, 1 day
- Smart Working Days – Basic module, Friday, 2 July 2021, 1 day
- Smart Working Days – Basic module, Wednesday, 3 November 2021, 1 day
- Smart Working Days – Advanced: Teams module, Wednesday, 22 September 2021 – Thursday, 23 September 2021, 2 x 4 hrs.
- Smart Working Days – Advanced: Collaboration module, Monday, 8 November 2021 – Tuesday, 9 November 2021, 2 x 4 hrs.
The next Dates in English
(as of 26 April 2021)
- Smart Working Days – Basic module, Monday, 16 August 2021
- Smart Working Days – Advanced: Teams module, Monday, 30 August 2021 – Tuesday, 31 August 2021, 2 x 4 hrs.
- Smart Working Days – Advanced: Collaboration module, Thursday, 18 November 2021 – Friday, 19 November 2021, 2 x 4 hrs.
Posts in the ITS Blog
- Smart Working Training Days
- “Spicing up online meetings” (Mehr Würze für Online-Meetings) in German only
- Katharina Leith, Head IT Training, IT Services
- Urs Spätig, Course Director & Project Manager IT Procurement & Portfolio, IT Services