IT Training: System Technology becomes Platform Development / Faces in IT
The current four-year IT apprenticeship was revised and orientated more around the future requirements of economics and administration. Therefore, as of summer 2021, the IT Training Lab of ETH Zurich is providing training in the two areas of IT specialisation: “Application Development” and “Platform Development”.
The vocational training “IT Specialist Federal VET Diploma” was subjected to a revision by ICT-Berufsbildung Schweiz and aligned more closely with the current and future requirements of economics and administration. The vocation will now be taught in the two areas of specialisation of “Application Development” and “Platform Development”. The revised Education and Training Ordinance went into force on 1 January 2021 and thereby applies to the education of trainees who start an IT apprenticeship in summer 2021.
The Platform Development area of specialisation focuses more on server services and IT Security, and less on hardware. Instead of the current three days, trainees are already at work in the training company for four days in the third year of training, which gives them more practical experience. This reduces the presence in the vocational school, where the focus is on mathematics and English in addition to vocational knowledge.
Around 60 specialists were involved in development and modernisation of the 32 modules for the revised IT Specialist Federal VET Diploma vocation. New topics include, among others, cloud solutions, blockchain, machine learning, Internet of Everything and DevOps.
There is an increasing demand for ICT specialists; therefore additional apprenticeships will be needed, and companies wanted for training IT specialists. Vocational training is the central lever for tackling the lack of ICT specialists and serves as the most important feeder for higher vocational training and technical colleges. “
- Excerpt from press release “IT specialist training made ready for the future” (in German)
Interested future trainees as well as ETH members who can see themselves as vocational trainers for young people at ETH Zurich, please contact Marc Winkler, Head of the IT Training Lab.
Tip Informatiktage 2021
Event “Faces in IT and their paths / Career paths in IT at ETH Zurich” (in German)
- Monday, 12 April 2021, 13:50-14:45, registration required https://informatiktage.ch/eth/gesichter-in-der-it-und-ihre-wege
“Shaping the world of tomorrow with computer technology”
- Job description VET IT Application development “Berufsbild Informatiker/in EFZ Applikationsentwicklung” in German
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNoJXECarcc Video “Application developer – a profession with a future” in German
- Job description VET IT platform development “Berufsbild Informatiker/in EFZ Plattformentwicklung” in German
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dRCtVJa2L4 Video system technology – a profession with a future / new from 2021 VET IT platform development in German
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7suRZykkNWk&feature=emb_logo (Vocational training film)
- Revision Informatiker/in EFZ in German (Revision Computer Scientist VET)
- Vocational basic training for IT specialist with Federal Certificate of Proficiency (VET) / Berufliche Grundbildung für INFORMATIKERIN / INFORMATIKER mit eidgenössischem Fähigkeitszeugnis (EFZ)