Young ‘n’ Rising: a Success Story
ETH News reports on the pilot project “Young ‘n’ Rising: education with a reality check”. Congratulations are in order!
Young ‘n’ Rising is a team led by trainees, which offers services in the form of interdisciplinary projects for all those associated with ETH Zurich. Alongside its goal of providing these services reliably and to a suitable level of quality, the primary focus for the trainees is to gain practical experience and to expand and consolidate their vocational skills.
Young ‘n’ Rising thus expands on the teaching in the relevant vocational fields with an element that focuses on aspects like customer orientation and interdisciplinary collaboration. The independent work on genuine commissions from clients thus reinforces the trainees’ self-reliance and enables them to learn how to deal with time pressure, expectations and limiting framework conditions in a practically oriented and experience-based way.
The Young ‘n’ Rising Team
The team consists of trainees in various professions (budding IT technicians specialising in system technology, trainees in the field of interactive media design, commerce trainees). From mid-August 2020, the team will be expanded to include one budding mediamatics specialist and three IT trainees specialising in application development. In their interdisciplinary tasks, the trainees’ various professions and year’s of training are irrelevant – they support one another, apply their relevant strengths and thus achieve their goals successfully. They receive assistance and coaching from vocational trainers and specialist technicians at ETH Zurich.
- “Apprentices get a reality check” (ETH News)
- “Young ‘n’ Rising” pilot project https://young-n-rising.ethz.ch/
- “The interactive CS3 World Map of Young’n’Rising” (ITS Blog)
- IT Training Lab – “IT vocational training at ETH” – pimped up, Episode 2 (ITS Blog)
- “Lern mit mir – Berufsbildung von zuhause aus” (Learn with me vocational training from home) in German (ID-Blog)
- “Learn with me! ETH apprentices help by tutoring schoolchildren” (ETH News)
- “Learn with me” platform (in German)
Marc Winkler, Head of the IT Training Lab, IT Services