E. Kowalski's blog

Comments on mathematics, mostly.

14.01.2009

Fractal cabbage

Filed under: Mathematics @ 9:27

Back in the days when fractals where the most fashionable thing, I had heard of fractal cabbages, and seen pictures of them. However, they are typically not available in French or American stores, so I didn’t see a real one until noticing that they are very common in Swiss supermarkets. Here’s a picture of one, but I should say that pictures do not quite convey the actual feel of seeing and handling this vegetable (not to mention eating it — and it is indeed quite tasty). The diameter (of horizontal cross-sections) of the specimen displayed here is between 10 and 15 centimeters, and the height is slightly larger.

8 Comments

1.   JSE — 14.01.2009 @ 22:41    Reply

Just to defend my country’s honor, these are sold at the farm market here in Madison…

2.   Grétar — 17.01.2009 @ 1:50    Reply

I agree, they look beautiful and taste really good. I first had them in Grenoble.

3.   Gil Kalai — 17.01.2009 @ 16:58    Reply

Here is another mention of fractalic vegtables:

4.   Kowalski — 17.01.2009 @ 17:48    Reply

Thanks for the reference! (I have to admit I didn’t do any measurement of the structure of the vegetable…) Amusingly, there was none in the store where I usually buy them this morning…

5.   Mark Dominus — 01.02.2009 @ 21:03    Reply

I would like to know the Hausdorff dimension of this cabbage.

6.   Richard Elwes — 02.02.2009 @ 0:03    Reply

I think in culinary circles they go by the name “Romanesque Broccoli”. Very pleasing on the eye, the mind, and the tongue!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks