Posted by Jacques on Friday, 21 March 2008
I created this post to document the major steps I went through during my Vista deployment project. So it is intended as a reference for my own usage, but you might find it useful if you want to deploy Vista SP1 and/or Windows 2008 server in a fully automated way without third party tools, nor any MS-System Center Config Manager. It’s all in the box or freely available for download on microsoft.com.
Credits: Sincere thanks to Guillaume Ducroix, Windows Core Support Specialist, Microsoft EMEA for his professional help on MDT.
Here are the ingredients of this recipe:
- Windows Deployment Services (WDS) – included as a role in Windows 2008 – Here is the download site for 2003
- Windows Automated Installation Kit 1.1 (WAIK 1.1)
- Very nice to have: MS-SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008 (MDT 2008)
Do you have everything? OK, let’s start cooking…
- Part I: WDS
- Part II&III: WAIK ans MS-SQL
- Part IV: MDT – Building and capturing master images
- Part V: MDT – Deploying master images images
Note that this post is provided “as is” with no warranty nor supportability engagement. It does not engage my responsibility at all.
Nevertheless if you consider this not clear, incomplete or inadequate, please let me know !